Can you really leave a gang?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: syddanmark

Can you really leave a gang?

Unread post by iboy » March 11th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Is it something the hollywood movies have portrate as impossible to leave a gang, like the bloods,crips,surenos,nortenos? or can you really leave and do you have to do?

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Can you really leave a gang?

Unread post by iboy » March 12th, 2012, 10:19 am

Bump

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » March 13th, 2012, 10:27 am

You really never seen any talk on this? It really depends on the gang. Like 1 gang might hurt you & forget about you, but some will want to kill you. Some times the people you hear about are still considered part of the gang, but were allowed to move on.

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by iboy » March 13th, 2012, 10:41 am

MMRbkaRudog wrote:You really never seen any talk on this? It really depends on the gang. Like 1 gang might hurt you & forget about you, but some will want to kill you. Some times the people you hear about are still considered part of the gang, but were allowed to move on.
I have heard about it, but the movies/documentaries and the actually gang members, have always confused me because in movies they always say they cant leave gangs. But then i see some members who move out of the hood and live in peace. But you did answer my question about that. What with rapper that are REAL gang members, how is everything with them?

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » March 13th, 2012, 6:50 pm

iboy wrote:
MMRbkaRudog wrote:You really never seen any talk on this? It really depends on the gang. Like 1 gang might hurt you & forget about you, but some will want to kill you. Some times the people you hear about are still considered part of the gang, but were allowed to move on.
I have heard about it, but the movies/documentaries and the actually gang members, have always confused me because in movies they always say they cant leave gangs. But then i see some members who move out of the hood and live in peace. But you did answer my question about that. What with rapper that are REAL gang members, how is everything with them?
Some of them are sort of like the 1's I mentioned were allowed to move on & some actually are active members.

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by iboy » March 13th, 2012, 11:23 pm

MMRbkaRudog wrote:
iboy wrote:
Some of them are sort of like the 1's I mentioned were allowed to move on & some actually are active members.
Ohh okay, can you tell me why the gang still hang with theses rappers, that arent active.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » March 14th, 2012, 5:13 pm

What's with all the q's bro? Maybe some q's I ask seem pointless to, but I don't understand why some of this stuff matters to you. I know b-real got dissed by sinister, because they're from the same hood & sinister was saying b-real stopped coming back to the hood. I bet 1 of the reasons snoop gets so much love is cuzz of who he is, but it seems like he an't forgot where he's from & it doesn't seem like he wouldn't ever go see his homies in the hood.

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by iboy » March 15th, 2012, 1:18 am

MMRbkaRudog wrote:What's with all the q's bro? Maybe some q's I ask seem pointless to, but I don't understand why some of this stuff matters to you. I know b-real got dissed by sinister, because they're from the same hood & sinister was saying b-real stopped coming back to the hood. I bet 1 of the reasons snoop gets so much love is cuzz of who he is, but it seems like he an't forgot where he's from & it doesn't seem like he wouldn't ever go see his homies in the hood.
Just asking im trying to understand how the things is over there in the states. And then because i never understood why some rappers, still run with their homies when others dont....but good looking on the info :)

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » March 21st, 2012, 3:11 pm

iboy wrote:Is it something the hollywood movies have portrate as impossible to leave a gang, like the bloods,crips,surenos,nortenos? or can you really leave and do you have to do?
Anyone can leave any LA gang anytime they want. It is usually easier if you leave in good standing, meaning that there is no animosity against you. People do it all the time. Neew people join and old people leave, and sometimes new people that join will leave too.

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by iboy » March 21st, 2012, 5:00 pm

alexalonso wrote:
iboy wrote:Is it something the hollywood movies have portrate as impossible to leave a gang, like the bloods,crips,surenos,nortenos? or can you really leave and do you have to do?
Anyone can leave any LA gang anytime they want. It is usually easier if you leave in good standing, meaning that there is no animosity against you. People do it all the time. Neew people join and old people leave, and sometimes new people that join will leave too.
But how do you leave in good standing

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by iboy » April 16th, 2012, 1:20 pm

iboy wrote:
alexalonso wrote:

Bump

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 16th, 2012, 1:49 pm

iboy wrote:
alexalonso wrote:
Good standing meaning that you were never a snitch, or became an informant for the police, which every gang has now. Every gang has a member that informs the police.

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by iboy » April 16th, 2012, 2:07 pm

alexalonso wrote:
iboy wrote:
alexalonso wrote:
Good standing meaning that you were never a snitch, or became an informant for the police, which every gang has now. Every gang has a member that informs the police.
Wow seriously?

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by iboy » April 30th, 2012, 9:12 am

bump

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 29th, 2012, 1:22 pm

alexalonso wrote:
iboy wrote:
alexalonso wrote:

That is why I got to leave. It was a clean break, no business ties left.

Webbi3

Unread post by Webbi3 » January 8th, 2013, 10:25 pm

I feel everybody in my hood is my obligation... I want our youth to make their parents proud. So when they make it they can take pride.. Knowing they did it without a silver spoon.... Two Thum3s up

RomanoBundy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Somewhere... out there

Unread post by RomanoBundy » December 21st, 2013, 5:09 am

Of all the stories I've heard (not so much), it's, let's say 60-65% hard and the rest not hard.
I know some gangs (is it 18th?) don't allow it, no matter the reason. They killed one of their big names who was old at the time, because he tried to eraze his back tattoo.

iboy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by iboy » December 23rd, 2013, 9:32 am

I aint talking about leaving the gang completely, but just change from a bange to a member

Racerxj17
What city do you live in now?: los angeles

Unread post by Racerxj17 » December 23rd, 2013, 8:59 pm

iboy wrote:I aint talking about leaving the gang completely, but just change from a bange to a member

If you bang, you ARE a member. most of the hoods in the SFV dont allow straight "walk outs." I've seen the exception to some older cats who had families, and jobs, but good luck just "changing" your mind.

alexau
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: alabama

Can you really leave a gang

Unread post by alexau » May 26th, 2016, 12:51 pm

That makes sense..but at the same time..like u said..every gang/crew has their hotheads who think they are better than the rest..and any confrontation with a different gang can lead to a war..so why is it that some gangs get along? Dont the gangs that get along think they are better than each other..why do some beef and others get along?

cribby1983
What city do you live in now?: Magdeburg - MoVal

Unread post by cribby1983 » October 10th, 2016, 10:45 am

1. It depends on where you are from.
2. It depends on your reasons.
3. It depends on your status.
Like others before me have already explained, some gangs want you dead because you might be taking knowledge with you they don’t want nobody outside the gang to know. But I think it isn’t even really leaving. Ask yourself. Do you really wanna leave the gang- like leave ALL the people you used to hang with behind? Or do you just want to move on and live peacefully and get away from the bangin’ and slangin’? There is a difference in my opinion. Most likely you have family members in the same gang and you will cross paths sooner or later. I think when people start thinking about leaving they really just want to retire from actively putting in work which doesn’t mean that they are not members of the gang anymore. It just means they not active but still respected as members.
If you was never that actively involved in the gang they might just forget about you since you wasn’t a member long enough to have knowledge of certain things. If you a well known member, someone who’s been a member for a long time or you was putting in major work and you suddenly decide that you don’t want to be a member no more, people might start thinking about what your reasons could be and look at you differently if you come outta nowhere thinking you can just lay down the flag and go home….but if you say, you’ve been active for years, maybe even decades and you just wanna retire and step back to make space for the next generation of bangers, they might respect that and still consider you a member as well as a source to seek advice from. Like I said, it depends on the gang, your reasons and your status.

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Hawaii
What city do you live in now?: Honalulu

Unread post by bumperjack » January 20th, 2017, 3:00 pm

1.YOUR STATUS/POSITION IS THE KEY TO LEAVING ANY GANG.
2.DEPENDS ON THE WORK YOU PUT IN OVER A PERIOD OF TIME.
3.HOW WELL YOU ARE RESPECTED IN YOUR GANG.
4.HOW LONG YOU WAS DOWN FOR THE CAUSE.
5.ALL GANGS HAVE DIFFERENT VARIABLES TO LEAVING.

I Myself put 26 years in a Blood in Blood out Gang!
I Left in Good Standing with My Honor /Respect and Loyalty. By Never Locking it up. Never becoming a Rat or Snitch. I'm still Loved by many and Feared by Most.
Not many of us make it to the other side. Without defecting.Im one that has left on good terms and Still to this day take care of my Big Homie doing 4-Life Sentences. You leave, but are still connected in a sense.

ThomasTrig
If in the United States: Washington
What city do you live in now?: Vancouver

Unread post by ThomasTrig » April 12th, 2017, 9:46 am

It's possible but the best way to leave a gang is to never get in one.